What We Do: Making a Local Impact
The Austin Community Foundation is committed to building philanthropic resources that help make Austin a great place for everyone—today and tomorrow. We do so by grantmaking, providing community leadership, supporting collaborative problem-solving and leveraging resources.
Last year we granted $20 million in Central Texas, across the country and globally, mostly through our donor-directed funds. We also connected donors with local causes including $2.2 million in grants awarded to local nonprofits through our community grant program Learn more
Our Impact Investment Fund helps us put a greater portion of our assets to work doing social good in our community. We invest in Central Texas social entrepreneurship and problem-solving in areas of pressing need.
- Austin Leadership Fund – As our community grows and changes, everyone has a role to play to shape Austin’s future. Join this leadership group for “beyond grantmaking” activities to prioritize and influence important issues in our changing city.
- Community Research – Whether it’s commissioning research on our community’s transfer of wealth or compiling and analyzing existing data on how women and children are faring in Austin, we seek to identify threats and opportunities in our community without duplicating existing effort.
- Women’s Fund of Central Texas - The Women's Fund invests in impactful programs that benefit women and children in our community.
- Austin Area Funders - This informal group of Central Texas philanthropic foundations and other funders meets monthly to focus on our community's most pressing needs, emerging trends in the field of philanthropy, and opportunities to network with foundation peers.
- Bright Leaf Preserve – This 216-acre nature preserve in the center of Austin provides free guided hikes to Central Texas school children and families to teach earth sciences, preserve natural space for native species and provide sanctuary for all.
- The Central Texas Summer STEM Investment Hub works to increase funding opportunities for high-quality Science, Technology, Engineering and/or Math programs for youth during the summer.
- Highland Lakes Legacy Fund – This family of funds at the Foundation serves as a catalyst to bring diverse donors together to work on solutions and foster greater giving in Marble Falls, Horseshoe Bay and other lake communities.
- Jewish Foundation of Austin & Central Texas (JFACT) – Guided by Jewish values and the individual interests of donors, JFACT is a family of funds at Austin Community Foundation which provides an opportunity to make a lasting impact through philanthropy in the name of the Jewish community, at home in Austin and around the world. JFACT is a branch of Shalom Austin (formerly Jewish Community Association of Austin).