Fiscal Sponsorship Criteria
Austin Community Foundation offers Fiscal Sponsorship support to select projects and organizations that align with our mission and strategic initiatives.
The Foundation will consider fiscal sponsorship for projects that meet the following criteria:
- Project works to close the opportunity gap or offers a unique solution to a community need
- Serves communities in Travis, Williamson, Hays, Bastrop, Burnet or Caldwell county
- Minimum projected budget of $50,000
IRS criteria for fiscal sponsorship:
- A 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization (in this case, Austin Community Foundation) accepts charitable donations or grants, acting as a guardian of the funds, for a project that does not have 501(c)(3) status.
- The funds received by the Foundation on behalf of the project must be used for specific charitable projects that further the Foundation’s own tax exempt purpose.
- The Foundation retains discretion and control as to the use of the funds.
- The Foundation maintains records that establish that the funds were used for 501(c)(3) purposes.
Fees are determined based on the complexity and size of the project. Fees range 5%-10% of deposits and are assessed monthly. Additional fees may apply for unexpected expenses incurred on behalf of the project.
Capabilities & Limitations