Our Community Grant Program
We help donors and nonprofits make the greatest impact possible on the most pressing needs in our community.
Our Community Grant Program is the central portal for applying for and receiving grant funds from the Foundation. By matching nonprofit grant requests to the interests and resources of our funds and fund holders, we ensure your request is funded at the highest level possible so you can focus on doing good.
We recently updated our grants process to increase transparency and predictability for our nonprofit grantees. Through our updated process we have reduced the time between grant submission and final decision to four months or less. We have also increased the potential funding nonprofits may access through our Community Grant Program.
Who is eligible? Organizations that:
- Are tax-exempt under Sections 501(c)(3) or 170(b)(1)(a)(vi) of the Internal Revenue Code and units of government.
- Work in the following counties: Travis, Blanco, Burnet, Bastrop, Caldwell, Hays and Williamson.
In general, the Foundation does not grant funds for:
- unrestricted general operating expenses
- endowment funds
- religious organizations for religious purposes
- fundraising activities or events
- umbrella funding organizations that intend to distribute funds at their own discretion
- political lobbying or legislative activities
- multi-year commitments
Please note that the Foundation will only accept one application per organization within a 12-month period.
The Austin Community Foundation encourages grant requests for projects or programs that:
- are likely to have a substantial impact on the quality of life of people in the community
- propose practical ways to address community issues and problems
- leverage other sources of support (i.e., funds or volunteers)
- stimulate others to participate in addressing community problems
- assist non-profit organizations to maximize effective management
- are cooperative efforts and minimize or eliminate duplication of services
- are sustainable over time
How it Works
- Submit your organization's online grant application at any time during the year. There is no need to meet with grants staff prior to submitting your grant request.
- After you have submitted your grant application, you will be contacted by our grants staff only if we have questions or believe your application is incomplete.
- After review by our expert staff, the summary of your grant request is shared with donors who have a fund with us and wish to consider funding opportunities in your Community Impact Areas. Fundholders may indicate their desire to fund all or part of your request.
- Our grants staff will bundle fundholders' commitments with available Foundation funds to award your organization a grant. Your award letter will include all of the donor information we can provide.
- Unfortunately, we receive more grant requests than we can fund. Our grants staff will notify you no later than the posted grant announcement date so that you can pursue other funding sources.
- Decisions are announced quarterly.
- March 15th
- June 21st
- September 20th
- December 20th
- Successful grant applicants will receive an award letter, contract and media toolbox through postal mail. The grant check will be mailed by the Foundation upon receipt of the signed contract.
- During the project time period, we may request a site visit to learn more about the positive impact you are making.
The Foundation will consider a grant request from an organization that has previously received funds from the Foundation's Community Grant Program only after the funded project is complete and a final report has been submitted. Final report criteria is outlined in Exhibit B of your contract.
Note that organizations who have received a grant through one of the Foundation's other grant rounds, such as the Women's Fund or the Summer STEM Collaborative, may apply through to the Community Grant Program during the same year.